[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 9 14:41:12 EDT 2004

Boise

One thing that comes to mind after reading what you posted and
looking at the Coco3 schematics,  I wonder if the real problem is
load capacitance and impeadance.

The E and Q clocks from the GIME chip have a series 47 Ohm and
a 30 pF shunt cap. This forms a low pass filter to remove some of
the harmonic contents of the clock signals and rou nds the edges
off. Now when you place three or four cards in the MPI and if the
MPI does not buffer the clock lines, well  now we can have some
issues with the load impedance on the clock signals and some
skewing of the two to cause some timing issues.

Four LSTTL loads will be about 500 Ohms and and another 30 to 50
pF capacitance on the clock signals from the GIME chip. Now you
start to get to a marginal point to where critical timing issues can be
affected. Swapping cards generally means that you are altering the
load impedance by plugging in a card that has a slightly higher
impedance and thus works.

Some cards use both the E and the Q and some on ly the E clock.
IF you load the E clock to much and the variation between rise and
fall times of the E and Q clock differ signifiacantly,then the CPU
may not operate properly or certain peripheral devices will not
either.

It is sounding to me that the GIME chip may have a drive issue on
the E and Q clock and that putting to many loads on the E and the
Q clock lines is becoming a problem.

james