[Coco] MC-10 Questions...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Aug 8 13:40:29 EDT 2004

Mike

Since the joystick porrt measures voltage across a resister,you need to know
the resistance or the current through the resister.

To setup the joystick port to read a resistance value you need to measure the
voltage drop across an unknown resister that has as its current source a known
constant current.

The real problem is that the Coco3 does not really measure the voltage. It
programs a middle value, between 0 and 63,  into a DAC and the joystick port
and the output of the DAC are fed into a comparator. To determine the exact
position, the DAC values are adjusted until the comparator output changes
state. Kind of an indirect method. Besides the six bits in the DAC are woefully
very inaccurate.

james