[Coco] MC-10 Questions...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Aug 7 22:36:32 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/7/04 9:09:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, farna at att.net
writes:

> The other gauges, fuel level, engine temp, oil pressure, and possibly volts
(
> haven't figured out how to do that one yet, the other three are simple
> variable resistances that I know the ranges for) could be slower. The oil
> pressure will have a back-up warning light. The numbers displayed will have
> to be on a graphics screen to be big enough to easily see. I'd probably use
> mechanical hour meter under the hood and forget mileage, unless I can find
> stand alone odometer instead of an hour meter.
>
>  Heck, I've forgot how I measured resistance now!! I remember using the
> joystick D/A inputs, but that's all. Got the idea from a game that used a
> series of push buttons for a Jeapordy style buttons connected to one port.
> think each button had a different resistance and the CoCo could tell which
> button was pressed. Might have to have the gauges work in 5 or 10 unit
> increments, but would be close enough.

I think you're forgetting something -- that the Coco's joystick inputs
measure Volts, period.  Resistor hookups are just voltage dividers of a known
external reference voltage, into a dependent voltage that feeds to the A/D joystick
inputs.

To monitor your car's battery voltage, which ranges between 12 and 15 or so,
use a pair of fixed resistors to divide it by 3, so that range becomes 4 to 5
V (remember, the Coco joysticks measure from 0 to 5 V, no more).

I think a competitor, maybe Apple, used a similar scheme to the Coco's, but
had one of the resistors built into it, so the joystick was just a variable
resistance.  Not nearly as flexible as our Coco (but then, what was/is?)
--Mike K.