[Coco] Old Coco Info

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Aug 6 12:20:39 EDT 2004

Tim

The Basic09 compiler used in OS9 is licensed from:

BASIC09  RS VERSION 01.00.01
COPYRIGHT 1980 BY MOTOROLA INC.  AND MICROWARE
SYSTEMS CORP.
REPRODUCED UNDER LICENSE TO TANDY CORP.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Straight out of the Basic09 cmd module for OS9.

Originally MS' version of basic were interperter basics. GW Basic
was a piece of garbage. QBasic is much better and then finally ther
ewas Quick Basic, MS' first compiler basic.

If I remember correctly, Motorola contracted with Microware to do
OS9 and Basic09 for the 6809. Motorola intended to compete with
an all in one box somewhat like the Tandy Model IV. It was to be
called the SAT-96. The motherboard was about 12" x 20" and had
64K of DRAM, with an expansion board to 128K. 6809 based wi th
6845 CRTC, NEC765 Floppy disk controller, two serial ports a
parallel port, a GPIB port,  built in modem and 32K of video ram.
One big box with every thing you could want in a computer that
nobody wanted.

I have one board that I never completed assembling and I have all
the IC's to put on it. I used to have the 8 in floppies with a Basic09
compiler and TSC Flex operating system. Not sure if they now have
suffered from bit rot as I got them about 1982 time frame. There
was a  version of OS9 available then but I never obtained it.

Sadly enough Motorola canceled the project just before anouncing it
to the world.

Oh were those the days?

james