[Coco] Transferring files to CoCo without floppy

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 19 22:57:49 EDT 2004

James Dessart wrote:
> Other than a serial connection, does anyone know how to transfer files
> from a non-coco to a CoCo for RS-DOS? I have a Mac, so no floppy drive,
> or even a controller.
>
> Eventually, I'll be working with serial, but I'd like something for now.
> Making the cable is the holdup, my soldering skills aren't quite up to
> snuff for cables.
>
> I have an IDE<->USB controller, is there a way to get a 5 1/4" to
> interface with IDE?
>
> Or is there a source for CoCo bitbanger to Mac cables? Even CoCo to DB-9
> female would probably do, since I have an adaptor.
>
> Thanks,
> James

By serial I assume you mean a direct connection via the bit banger port.
Instead of that think of null modem. This can still be via the bit
banger although an RS-232 pack works much better.

With a null modem connection use Ultimaterm or OSTerm on the Coco and an
equivalent program on the MAC.

It is easy to buy the needed cable and adapters from stores like CompUSA.