[Coco] Old ISA modems with jumpers...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 20:55:20 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/18/04 11:56:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dbree at duo-county.com writes:

> Do you have a spare serial port on the box?  You can still get external
>  modems.  I'm kinda partial to these varmints anyway..

I deliberately bought an external modem for my new PC a couple years ago:

1. You can watch the lights and see how the transfers are doing, both up and
downloading

2. You can use it on any PC, including Linux

3. Doesn't take an expansion slot

4.  Once in a while a modem gets internally hung up in some odd way (mine
likes to play the Touch Tones an octave lower, which the phone company doesn't
recognize), and such that resetting and rebooting your computer won't fix an
internal modem (my internal on the old PC did things like this).  An external
modem, a flick of the switch, count to 5, power back on, and there you are.

5. OK, so it messes up your desk.  Like we CocoNuts really care?
--Mike K.