[Coco] RSDOS TRACEON

secure at ytunnelpro.com secure at ytunnelpro.com
Fri Apr 9 23:36:59 EDT 2004

mmarlett at isd.net wrote:

> I have a customer that has lost their Internet connection due to a virus
> and has to reinstall.
>
> She asked me to post a message to the list in hopes of a solution.
>
> She writes code in DECB and when she is debugging she uses the TRACEON
> command. Her problem is that it scrolls by so fast that she can't use it's
> output very well. Is there a way to have that output go to a printer?

Way way way back in the day I had a problem similar to this where I
couldn't catch all of the output quick enough. At the time I was using
the EDTASM+ rompak converted to a loadable disk image and patched for
80x24 on the CoCo III. Even so there was so much output that I not
matter what I did I couldn't catch it all. Of course since the patches
were done by myself I could have easily added more patched to log the
buffer into 512k memory and review it later. But being a programmer I
took the more difficult route.

Since I still had my original 64k CoCo I and the source from a 51x21
screen display from an 83 or 84 Hot CoCo mag article I whipped up a
quickie patch in edtasm to echo everything to the RS-232 pack and
created a log catcher for the CoCo I. After about 2 days of testing and
playing around I had a nice neat little logger that would even save to
disk, delete lines, and print to the printer if needed. But I spent
probably 50 times more creating the logger than I did trying to fix the
original problem and although I did use the logger from time to time it
wasn't worth the wasted time.

The moral of this story is go the easy route....it's much simpler!

So with the moral out there (and since I don't remember much about the
tasm pak) if she has access to another computer that can be hooked up
throuth the RS-232 port via null modem try loading up something like
Remote+ that echos everything on the screen to the acia.

Hmmmmm...perhaps you should create a pseudo ICE for the CoCo to let us
plug our PC's in between the CPU and the rest of the hardware :)

...Chet...