[Coco] CASM Cross Assembler V3.0 Alpha

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Apr 9 19:52:18 EDT 2004

Ok, that'll work great.  Your -raw option looks like CCASM's -nr option, as
I suspected.  This forces a ROM-like binary without any padding, as
well.  Any RMB's are converted to data, and ORG headers are not output
(however, they can be used to set the base address).

Disk BASIC, ofcourse, deals with multi-record binary files (LOADMable)
quite well no matter how many ORGigin headers are encountered or (to my
knowledge) the size of each.  I don't have a clue why EDTASM output such
small packets, but that's the first thing I did away with when I created
CCASM.  I haven't had a file yet to be rejected by Disk BASIC.  In fact,
you can manually SAVEM a block of RAM of a large size and go check that
disk file and it will be a single-record file instead of a multi-record.

Also, your -o= option appears to accept a pathname instead of just a
directory name.  Portal-9 forces an output file based on what you tell it
to create.  Without the filename being known, any assembler could really
output anything it wanted to and the IDE would have no way of knowing what
file was created for the binary.  CCASM accepts a full pathname for the
output file.

Oh, I am getting some phasing errors with CASM with source that is quite
simple, so I will write you about this in a while with the code and let you
take a look.  Other than that, I have one Portal-9 project (called 'Rom
Pak') which is assembling and running in M.E.S.S. perfectly when assembled
using your CASM.  Your -rom option computes an 8k rom, which mounts fine,
ofcourse.

Keep up the good work.