[Coco] CASM Cross Assembler V3.0 Alpha

secure at ytunnelpro.com secure at ytunnelpro.com
Fri Apr 9 10:06:34 EDT 2004

On 4/7/2004, "Roger Taylor" <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:

>Yea, the unions and namespace functions probably won't be used by the
>average programmer, anyway.  CCASM's namespace function also does not
>completely work as it is expected to yet.  Unions work well, though.  All
>of the newer psuedo-ops are very useful and some can be used to reduce the
>source code size.  The 'includebin' function is very nice because it lets
>you embed any file directly into the codestream from anywhere in your
>source code.  You can embed fonts, sprite data, music, or whatever.

I did get both unions and namespaces implemented last night although it
uses a different syntax for the namespaces. I decided to use a single
colon to separate the namespaces allowing scoping with a single colon at
the beginning to denote the base namespace. Unfortunately there is not
support yet for cascading unions, structs, and namespace declarations
and I'm debating whether or not it's useful or makes the source too
confusing to look follow.

I found the raw/includebin feature to be most useful when I was working
on GR2K. Although I kept the sprites, tiles, and sound effects external
several other files were included as raw binary.

...Chet...