[Coco] BIN music files and karaoke?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 00:13:54 EST 2004

In a message dated 4/1/04 8:49:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, AMODMO at aol.com
writes:

> The music BIN files were created using George Quellhorst's great MUSIC3+
>  program. It was described in the April 1991 RAINBOW magazine, in an
article
> by
>  George Quellhorst entitled "Resounding CoCo". It represented a major
upgrade
> of
>  an older program called MUSIC+.

OK, thanks, now I think I vaguely remember that.  I was subscribing to the
Rainbow well into its newspaper-format days, so must have seen that, but I never
got into the type-all-day program entry masochism (gave it up after my KIM-1
Hex trainer).

 "The MUSIC3+ program uses HSCREEN4 to place
>  real notes on the screen, not letters or numbers, and it has a 17 column
> window
>  allowing 68 notes to be displayed on the screen simultaneously", the
>  introductory description says.

So it was a poor man's Lyra or UltiMusE or Musica3 -- real notes.  Cool.

> Each note is entered (up to four notes in each space) one at a
>  time. It sounds laborious but really wasn't too bad.

Did you enter the notes from the keyboard only, or could you use the
joystick/mouse?  Four harmony parts is par for the course in direct software synthesis
-- don't recall anyone doing more.

>George Quellhorst also
>  wrote a PLAYER program, which reads a disk's directory and displays the
> music  (BIN) files on the screen. By moving the cursor, using the arrow
keys, you
>  select the tune you want to play.

Good, a jukebox program.  I wrote one like that for UltiMusE (.UME) files.  I
should have made a version for MIDI (.MID) files too.

> My final  effort
>  was SONGBOOK, which uses a directory display much like George Quellhorst's
>  PLAYER program. When you move the cursor, using arrow keys, to select a
tune,
>  and
>  press P (for Play), the music BIN file LOADMs and the TEXT file of the
same
>  name is LOADed and is displayed on the screen, one verse at a time, and
the
> music  plays again for each verse.

OK, now I see how you synchronized the lyrics with the music -- display a
whole verse at a time, and each verse replays the whole file.  Works fine as long
as there isn't an Intro, Vamp, or Coda in the BIN file.

> It works fine and it remains the most satisfying
>  BASIC program I ever wrote. Dave Otis.

Music programs are like that -- the satisfaction is never-ending!  People are
still tinkering with Dennis QUAVER.
Congrats on a good program -- Mike K.