[Coco] BIN music files and karaoke?

AMODMO at aol.com AMODMO at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 20:49:02 EST 2004

The music BIN files were created using George Quellhorst's great MUSIC3+
program. It was described in the April 1991 RAINBOW magazine, in an article by
George Quellhorst entitled "Resounding CoCo". It represented a major upgrade of
an older program called MUSIC+. "The MUSIC3+ program uses HSCREEN4 to place
real notes on the screen, not letters or numbers, and it has a 17 column window
allowing 68 notes to be displayed on the screen simultaneously", the
introductory description says. The program itself was included on RAINBOW ON TAPE and
RAINBOW ON DISK. Each note is entered (up to four notes in each space) one at a
time. It sounds laborious but really wasn't too bad. George Quellhorst also
wrote a PLAYER program, which reads a disk's directory and displays the music
(BIN) files on the screen. By moving the cursor, using the arrow keys, you
select the tune you want to play. ENTER plays that tune or F1 plays all the tunes
or F2 plays all the tunes after the cursor. After I got the program I entered a
considerable number of tunes and filled up several disks. Since many of the
tunes are usually associated with words, I wrote a program to display words
while playing the tunes. My early attempts required a separate BASIC program for
each song. I used my Typaline 80 BASIC word processor (any word processor that
can save a TXT file will work o.k.) to type and save TEXT files, which I
saved with the same names as the music files, on the same disk. My final effort
was SONGBOOK, which uses a directory display much like George Quellhorst's
PLAYER program. When you move the cursor, using arrow keys, to select a tune, and
press P (for Play), the music BIN file LOADMs and the TEXT file of the same
name is LOADed and is displayed on the screen, one verse at a time, and the music
plays again for each verse. It works fine and it remains the most satisfying
BASIC program I ever wrote. Dave Otis.