[Coco] [Color Computer] From virtual disk to real disk

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Oct 29 03:10:01 EST 2003

>From: "Fedor Steeman" <fsteeman at dds.nl>
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:04:15 -0000

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know if there are other methods of formatting a real disk
>with the contents of a virtual disk other than the utility delivered
>with Jeff Vavasour's CoCo emulator. I found it not to work equally
>well with all disks, virtual or real....

>From what machine/OS combo?

John Collyer's updated dskini/retrieve for his 6309 coco emulator work
for DOS/windoze.  There's also OS9.exe which can write virtual OS-9
disks to real media.

There's instructions for Linux machines at nitros9.org but I haven't
tried them, lacking a 360K drive on my linux box.

Under OS-9 we have rsdsk & os9dsk, which read/write virtual disks, and
dskwrite, a BASIC09 program that writes standard ss, 35-track virtual
disks to real media.  Dskwrite can be expanded, but I don't think
anyone's bothered.

Anything other machines, I can't help with.

OS9.exe, rsdsk, os9dsk, and dskwrite are on RTSI (I'm not sure about
dskwrite, actually...).  I'm not sure where Collyer's home page is
these days.

>Cheers,
>
>Fedor

Willard