[Coco] Re: CoCo List/Newsgroup Information

jimcox at miba51.com jimcox at miba51.com
Sun Oct 26 03:08:01 EST 2003

Stephen:

See my comments in the text below.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:19:28 -0700
  "Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1 at MindSpring.com> wrote:
>> Doesn't seem to want to work with Free Agent(FA)
>
>I just tried it using FA 1.8. It worked.

**I have version 1.9X

>Agent started and the test group was selected. Just like
>OE.
>
>At that point you have to "Subscribe" to the group in
>both OE and FA.

**OK, this may be a point, since I do not have OE setup as
my default email client.  This may be the first problem.

>---------------------------
>
>1. You must have FA set as your Newsgroups: program. If
>Agent starts when
>you click on the News: // ... then you do have FA setup
>as your Newsgroup
>reader.

** FA is set up as my default News client.

>2. FA does have the additional requirement that FA comes
>up with the correct
>FA news server data set. It will NOT create one like OE
>does. But then you
>have to supply the necessary account data for each
>NewsGroup before getting
>News anyway.

** I am using my ISP's news server.  This may be the
second problem.

>---------------------------
>
>I use Agent to get / update the list of groups. A
>different data set is
>needed for each News Server.
>
>So I have 2-3, one for Earthlink, one for Microsoft and
>maybe one for Gmane.
>I plan someday to check what other groups are on gmane

**How do you do this?  Options, User and System Profile,
System, News Server.  What syntax are you using to show
different news servers?  This may be the third problem.

**I assume you have OE set up as your default email
client, and you subscribe to news through it as well as
Free Agent.
I don't think this will work for me because I am not using
OE, and I'm using my ISP's Mail server.  Also, IE is not
my default browser and it looks like OE is not happy with
Mozilla Firebird.  At this point, it's pretty much not an
issue with me, since I can access the list from my webmail
client, or the gmane server with my browser.  I can send
mail from the gmane site, but can use my webmail client to
do so.  At this point, getting things to work with FA
would only be an exercise since I can post to and read
from the list with my webmail client virtually on any
machine.  It may be helpful to others, but I doubt anyone
else on this list has a system configured exactly like me
(Firebird and Eudora)

Thanks for you help though.  If you see something I am
missing, please let me know.  Cheers!

Jim