[Coco] Cloud-9 CompactFlash to IDE question.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 21 20:00:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 19:33, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Since those "drawers" have a key fob driven switch to remove the
>> power before the case can be removed or inserted, I'd think it
>> would work ok.  I think I'd try it first with the smallest,
>> cheapest CF card you can get though, until its been done enough
>> times to prove it will work.
>
>The CompUSA unit key switch is just a mechanical switch.  It does
> not matter what position that you leave it in.
>
>The pull handle is a lever that disconnects all the electrical
>connections at the same time.  As long as there is no I/O going on,
> as far as the drive is concerned it should be the same as if
> someone pulled a power switch.
>
>But before I tried it, I wanted to see what other's experiences
> where.

The ones I've dealt with have a 2 pole switch that kills the 5 and 12
volt power to the drive, and unlocks the holdin latches at the same
time.  I'd be a bit spooky about pulling the drawer with power
applied, particularly for a hard drive since what you describe would
have the disk still spinning down while its being jostled and removed
unless you paused for about 10  seconds for it to stop before
finishing the pullout operation.

Obviously the drive should be unmounted before so there is no chance
of a last minute access/write while its in the process of being
powered down.