[Coco] Re: bio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 21 19:52:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 09:42, David wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:52:38AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 21 October 2003 02:24, Bill Cousert wrote:
>> >Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote: At 08:13 PM 10/20/2003
>> > -0700,
>>
>> you wrote:
>>
>> But now I have an instant problem.  I came home, downloaded and
>> installed all the updated packages for the period I was gone, and
>> now the only thing I can print correctly is the cups test page.
>> Mozilla 1.5 and kmail 1.52 are both printing light grey, full
>> bleed sheets of paper instead of what you sent, even for pure
>> text.  This is RH-8.0, with kde-3.1.1a (super nice).  Booted
>> Kernel is 2.4.22-rc2, and all this worked before I left 2 months
>> ago.
>
>What version of CUPS?  I've just upgraded to 1.1.19 on my Debian
> system, and notice that the "-p" option for lpr doesn't seem to
> work (although lpr -oprettyprint still works)..  I don't think I've
> tried a printout from moz or anything yet

I just built it and installed it here, but haven't tested it yet.
The weird part is that cups can print its own test pages just fine,
but everything else I've tried just gets me a full bleed page of
about 10% grey.  Like enscript is broken somehow.

>Umm..  did you check your setup to see that it hasn't changed?  I
> mean, using lpadmin or xpp or whatever..

Not using either of those, in fact they will probably fubar a cups
installation as it has its own configuration tool available to any
browser at localhost:631.  And I couldn't see that anything had
changed when I went thru the cups config last night.  But we'll keep
plugging along...

>> I do much of my bill-paying online, and I like to print the bank
>> statements for my records when I'm done, so this is a bummer.
>
>I've not yet worked up courage to do this or make an online order..
>still kinda timid about this  :-)

Its all encrypted, for either scenario, so its fairly safe, I've been
doing both for several years now.  Its very convienient to just let
the bank send the checks to pay your bills.