Coco disks (Was: [Coco] CCASM for Linux)

David dbree at duo-county.com
Tue Oct 21 09:38:07 EDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:41:07PM -0400, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

>   I have plenty of source files, at least under OS-9.  Also
> under RSDOS, though tough to get them off the Coco floppies to a PC or Linux
> (bet there are some good utils, maybe in what I got with the JV emulator).

Mike, are these on 5-1/4 disks?  If this is the problem, if you still
have access to a coco, if you have a 3-1/2 on it, you could copy them
all onto 3-1/2's, or you could stick a 5-1/4 onto your PC.  I stuck a
5-1/4 HD onto mine and can at least read them, although I don't know
if it could write coco-readable disks or not.

Anyway, once you have them on a media that the PC can read, you're all
set.  You can use the emulators' retrieve program, or, I prefer to use
the Linux fdutils, and make .dsk images.  In fact, under Linux, once you
get the fd parameters set right, you can even access the disk directly
with Boisy's os9tools.  If you have a 5-1/4 mounted onto /dev/fd1, for
example, "os9 dir /dev/fd1, " will read the directory of the disk as if
it were an image file.  I've never tried it, but I assume that you could
copy a file directly onto the disk just as with an image.