[Coco] Re: Old Color Computer Information

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sat Oct 18 03:00:00 EDT 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

>First, a little about grammar. :) I wrote, "I started UnderColor, which
>failed after 11 issues, as a result of the Ziff-Davis destruction of our
>work."
>
>That was like reelly reely bad grammar dood, a perfect example of what they
>taught us not to do back in whack-yer-wrists elementary school. It should
>have read, "As a result of the Ziff-Davis destruction of our work, I
>started UnderColor, which failed after 11 issues."

Misplaced modifiers and subordinate clauses can be tricky sometimes.

>UnderColor was started shortly thereafter, with the TCCM mailing list for
>initial contacts. Unfortunately, we were way undercapitalized, half our
>advertisers didn't pay, and by issue #11, I had run out of money. I 'sold'
>UnderColor to Lonnie Falk (what a mistake) in exchange for extending the
>Rainbow subscriptions to UnderColor subscribers, and for his promise that I
>could keep a column running in his magazine. That's a story of incompetence
>and editorial interference that's still depressing.

I assume "sold" is an oxymoron in reference to Lonnie Falk. He still owes me
two years' back pay for managing the OS-9 SIG on DELPHI. I do not know that
anyone ever broke even dealing with him; he is extremely crafty at turning
situations (and especially monetary transactions) in his favor. I hated the
fact that he paid authors diddly for their hard work; he even implied that
he was doing subscribers a favor by "allowing" them to publish their work in
a "prestigious" magazine. Yes, he is that self-absorbed.