[Coco] Re: Old Color Computer Information

ostro011 ostro011 at umn.edu
Fri Oct 17 09:10:02 EDT 2003

On 17 Oct 2003, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> At 04:40 AM 10/17/03 GMT, you wrote:
> >IIRC, I visited the offices of Byte and Kilobaud AND Softside (which
> >had lamentably bad fulfillment) in Peterborough, NH back in '80.
>
> Right. That was Wayne Green's empire. I worked there as well -- Kilobaud,
> 80 Micro, 73, etc. He lost Byte to his ex-wife Virginia, however (which
is
> why his license plate displayed the otherwise enigmatic "FUVA").
>
> The Color Computer Magazine and others were the editorial refugees from
> Wayne's erratic behavior who founded new publications, including me and
> Debra Marshall, who was my editor years after TCCM and the rest of the
rags
> in Camden, Maine, were eaten and killed deliberately by Ziff-Davis.
>
> I started UnderColor, which failed after 11 issues, as a result of the
> Ziff-Davis destruction of our work.

Dennis, I know you struggled mightily to keep your UnderColor Magazine
going.  But what does this last sentence mean about "destruction of our
work"?  Are these details OK to discuss?  I'd love to hear more.

I am currently reading UnderColor, Issues 1-5.  I owned all the later
issues and just acquired these from eBay to complete my collection.  Really
fun stuff in these older issues.  Lots of rumors about the new "Color
Computer '09".

Thanks!

-- Steve --