bio (was Re: [Coco] Cutting Cord)

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Fri Oct 17 03:52:00 EDT 2003

I got the computer bug in high school playing with a couple of trainers with
8080 and 6800 microprocessors. These magical beasts had hex keypads, 4K
monitor ROMS, 2K RAM, and 7-segment LEDs for display. I had also learned
some second-hand information about UNIX and knew I wanted it but couldn't
afford the required platform. In 1981 or 1982 I dropped by the Radio Shack
Computer Center and saw a copy of OS-9 sitting on the shelf. After browsing
through the manuals, I picked up a Color Computer, disk drive system, and
OS-9. I was never much of a BASIC fan, so I used OS-9 almost exclusively.
Ialso dropped a bundle on Bruce Isted's 20MB hard drive system; if I
remember correctly, it cost more than the CoCo and floppy drive combined but
it was well worth the investment. I also upgraded to a CoCo 3 with 2MB RAM
expansion when it first came out.

My claim to fame, if you can call it that, came when I started managing the
OS-9 forum on DELPHI. Eventually I packed my bags and began working as the
technical editor for Rainbow; of course, Rainbow was well in decline by the
time I was hired. It paid barely enough to keep food on the table, but I
enjoyed working with the CoCo community. I just wish I could have afforded
to pick up an MM/1 or Delmar System IV when they came out. I eventually
moved on and am now managing a team of software developers working with the
Windows platform and playing with MESS in my spare time.