[Coco] Re: Cutting Cord

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at bathory.org
Mon Oct 13 20:52:00 EDT 2003

ostro011 wrote:

> OK, this brings up an interesting idea.  I'd like to see a snapshot bio on
> each of us members of Dennis' new list, including age, when you got
> interested in the Coco, your Coco "claim-to-fame", other hobbies, etc.
> Very short and to the point.

Okay, heck, why not.

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (in earlier days, without the hyphen)
Northfield, Vermont
Formerly Roxbury, Vermont (and before that a dozen towns in New Jersey)
Age 54
First Color Computer was a gray box. My Model I dated from early 1978,
on order for several months.
Also had two LNW-80s, a KIM-1, a ZX-81, a UK-101, an OSI Challenger 4P,
a Spectravideo somethingorother, a Model 100, a PC Junior, machines I've
forgotten, and ultimately a dozen Color Computers of various vintages.
Wrote a few things (some magazine columns, 'The Custom TRS-80' and
'Learning the 6809' books, and some non-computer books such as 'The
Middle-Aged Hiker'), founded Green Mountain Micro (1980-1986). Some of
you met me at computer shows, the most visible of which was the
Rainbowfest in Princeton where I gave a talk wearing a prison outfit,
and almost got Brooke Shields to join us in the booth.
Favorite use of Color Computer (actually a half dozen of them) was 'In
Bocca al Lupo' at the Billings Art Center, Montana.
(http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/bocca/)
Retired the CoCo in 1991, moved to the Netherlands for a while, then
returned to write articles in other tech areas and my first PC (1993,
486DX66). All the machines since have been upgrades of that one; still
have the original diskette drive, but nothing else. Presently running
Athlon 1.4GHz Win98SE.
Composer throughout (640 pieces) as I worked as librarian, truck driver,
landscaper, teacher, writer, editor, teacher, programmer, arts
administrator, etc.
My project I'm most proud of over the past 8 years has been Kalvos &
Damian's New Music Bazaar, the first new nonpop show online
(http://kalvos.org/).

Dennis