[Coco] News gateways (was Test)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Oct 9 20:22:00 EDT 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> At 07:08 PM 10/9/03 -0300, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>
>>Well.... you made it to the list I just joined.
>

> The list now has 30 members. It's a good start. I am still working on the
> gate, but everybody I talked to so far doesn't want to gate to
> bit.listserv.coco because of the spam percentage. Several are good with
> comp.sys.tandy, though. I should know in a few days.
>
> Hope this takes off! My own spam filters work pretty well on the listserv,
> but others are getting swamped.

I would vote against comp.sys.tandy.  It has too much stuff that is not
related to the COCO.

Have you had a chance to look at gmane.org?  It looks like all that
needs to be done is fill out a web form and let it subscribe, and it
will automagically create a newsgroup mirror.

gmane.org requires that all posters use a valid e-mail address, which
they validate for the first post on each newsgroup.

You have to point your newsreader at the gmane.org server in order to
access their groups.  It does not require a password, so it is open to
anyone.

I think once a newsreader interface is availble, both the former list
and newsgroup will be abandoned.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only