[Coco] Test of news gateway

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Oct 8 08:24:00 EDT 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Here is my problem: I do not have access to a news server that is open. The
> service I use (onlynews.com) is username/password protected, and I've yet
> to figure out how to configure the pairList program to incorporate this in
> their news gateway.
>
> If you (or anyone on this new list) knows of a good free-access news
> server, please let me know and I'll see if I can gate it that way.

I can probably easily set up a one-way feed from the bit.listserv.coco
to your list.

I would have to see if I could remove the posts that were sent to both
lists.  The existing news gateway strips a lot of the headers from the
mailing list, and puts garbage in the posting I.P. address.

The other problem is that some people post as two separate messages,
with enough difference that the various duplicate post detectors do not
work.

Before I do that, I think that you would want to know the algorithm that
the moderator bot uses to remove/hold/pass postings.

It would take a bit longer to get postings to the bit.listserv.coco
running.  The main issue is getting the posting thread context correct.
A secondary issue is to detect when the person also posted a duplicate
copy to the other feed.

But I really think that the simplest solution is just to set up a
newsgroup on gmain.org.

I think that if Dennis sets up a new newsgroup, everyone else will also
move, and all that is needed is to request that the last person leaving
the old list/group to turn out the lights.

A periodic posting could be done to the old mailing list / newsgroup to
let newcomers know where to go.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net