[Coco] New game for CoCo3

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Nov 29 23:48:00 EST 2003

At 12:48 AM 11/29/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>You know, something like that would be a big help.  The one thing really
>holding me back on this is my programming ability in an environment where
>you got to squeeze tight for quickness with graphics.  Something you can't
>do in BASIC at all. I'm using CBASIC for this, which is a BASIC compiler
>that compiles your code to Machine Executable code with some extra features.
>It speeds things up, but I still can't do some things that I would like to,
>like scrolling a Hi-Res screen or music and sound effects.  I do know how to
>program in C, although it has been years, but I don't have any C Compiler
>for RS-DOS (was there ever one made?).  I recall one time long ago when I

My advice on writing a tight-as-possible arcade game using C, is to not try
it.  :)

>was working on a game on the CoCo back in the early 90's for my Senior
>Project in high school and Brian O'Neill wrote up a machine language program
>for me that I could include in my BASIC game, which allowed very fast sprite
>blotting and instant screens filled with sprites that are mapped for a full
>screen!  It was awesome. I was making a Zelda type game and it was perfect
>for that.  Since then I had lost it. I did have it for a short time after

With my invent of Portal-9, I hope to revive some of my old CoCo 2 game
projects that were never finished, one of which I clearly remember to do
fast 4-way smooth scrolling of the game world using 16x16 cells and an
animated character would can jump and climb, etc.

For the life of me I cannot find my Donkey Kong attempt which was looking
very nice with the CC3 graphics.  One weekend I might comb through and try
to gather up all of my old source code and turn everything into Portal-9
projects (which would be extremely easy to do), and include these with
Portal-9 for someone else to take over and finish.

If you need help on 4-voice background music and/or sound effects, let me
know.  You could trigger a certain MUSICA tune or blast a sound effect and
keep the game going, almost like commanding the old Speech/Sound Pak.