[Coco] Nick's Survey results

Nickolas Marentes NickM at qm.qld.gov.au
Thu Nov 27 01:40:00 EST 2003

> We really don't need a central place.  We need more places and activity,
> showing that all of us are still CoCoNuts, NOT just one person.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

I feel that we DO need a central site to act as a hub for newcomers or for
CoCo users who have been away and out of touch for awhile.

If I was a "newbie" or an ex-CoCo user and I wanted to find out what
projects were in development for the CoCo now, I would have to spend some
time on the internet search engines to find them.

A central hub site means one location with access to all the other sites. It
doesn't mean taking over any other sites. It would really be a simple web
site acting as a CoCo directory.

It's also a site for developers to put up monthly updates on what they are
up to.

Imagine if CoCo magazines had not existed. How would one CoCo user know that
another user had developed a product that they would be willing to buy or
learn more about? The magazine was a central source of information. My
primary interest in reading CoCo magazines (back in the good-old-days) was
to read the adverts! I never typed anything in. I used the magazine as a way
to keep in touch with what was going on in the CoCo world. And when you
lived far away from where the CoCo action was (Australia in my case) you
really yearned for that information.

Now we don't have magazines and unless I constantly run around reading every
CoCo web page frequently, I'll fall out of touch with the community....as I
believe many have in the past.

A central site, updated monthly informing people of WHO is creating WHAT,
WHAT is being held WHEN and WHERE to go for help on various CoCo matters...I
believe will help the community immensely. Already we are seeing that this
new list is drawing new people in and that is because of the improvements in
ACCESSABILITY that this list provides.

A centralized directory site will present the CoCo community in it's
entirety allowing people to branch directly to the sites that interest them
the most.

Of course, the million dollar question is...who would do such a site. I
guess this list is ideal for finding someone with the skills, desire and
time to do it.

Nickolas Marentes