[Coco] Ham Radio

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Wed Nov 12 11:30:00 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, john donaldson wrote:

> James,
>    I have seen writeup including QST about using these
> devices and how to set them up. So from that I would say
> they are 100% legal on the ham bands. These things have
> gotten down to the $30.00 price range. I am with a club in
> Roanoke, VA and we plan to use a couple or so of these at
> Feild Day next year for networking around the site. They
> should be good for 100 points. LOL

>From several sources I can find on Google, the FCC has removed
the restriction that prevented the use of commercial 802.11
tranceivers on Amateur Radio frequencies.  And they did this
in late 1999.

There are restrictions about not causing interference to the
part 15 802.11 users, and a maximum power of 100W.

But with this, up to a 15 mile point to point could be achieved.

The impact of this is significant, as by using repeater link
technology, an large WAN could be constructed, possibly
covering several states with usuable response.

And not subject to the current restrictions of my Broadband ISP
that prohibits servers.

So now I need to find out how if there is any such WAN accessable
from Southern New Hampshire, and what it would take for me to
link into it.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only