[Coco] Help using the Coco3 with a 1084S-D2 Monitor

Hank hank at roomful.com
Wed Nov 12 02:48:00 EST 2003

Hello guys, Marty, Mark,

I am hoping you can help me on this one........

I just bought a Commodore 1084S monitor on Ebay to use with my Coco3.  I
wanted to replace my NEC 3Ds because the 1084S has composite mode, and
audio. I did not know there were several model 1084S monitors until just
now.  Mine happens to be a 1084S-D2.   I am  getting a scrambled picture on
the Coco3 with the cable I made.  It looks as though there is no sync.   I
doubled checked the wiring.  This is what I got.

                    Coco3          1084S        NEC 3Ds / Switch Box
                 (10pin IDC)     (DB9)         (DB15HD)

Gnd                1,2               1,2                  4,5,10,11
Red                3                  3                     1
Green             4                  4                     2
Blue               5                  5                     3
Hsync            8                  8                    13
Vsync            9                  9                    14

The Coco3 and the 1084S just happen to work out to the same pin numbers I
noticed.   What am I doing wrong?  Is the 1084S-D2 incompatible with the
Coco3?   I wired the Monitor thru a DB15HD swtich box so I could switch it
between the Coco 3 and a Sony Playstation.  The cable form the Playstaion
outputs the same signals including the separate H and V syncs. (I made a
circuit for that out of a LM1881 IC)  When I switch over to the Playstaion
though the same pins, and the picture on the 1084S is fantastic!  Of course
when the NEC 3Ds is hooked up to the switch box,  both the Coco3 and the
Playstation display a perfect picture.

You guys have any ideas on this one?

Hank