[Coco] Re: PRINCETON/COCO files

Rodney V Hamilton Rodney_Hamilton at GBRonline.com
Sun Nov 9 08:50:01 EST 2003

In article <00b301c3a6c2$31549980$1a026742 at pentium>,
bcalkins at disaster-relief.net says...

>> Almost all are in CUTS format, except for some straight text files, and a
>> couple of ASCII BASIC files.
>
>Please to forgive my ignorance,  What is the CUTS format and what will I
>need and/or need to do, to move them to my CoCo's by way of my PC?
>
>Bruce W.

>From the COCO FILELIST message:

* CUTS (CoCo Usenet Transfer System) is a format that allows binary files
* and long ASCII files to be sent easily over the networks. For info, see
* CUTS FORMAT and for a Disk Basic version, use the program CUTS BAS
* Works on CoCo 1, 2, 3.  CUTS CUTS is the CUTS encoded version of the
* latest CUTS coding program. CUTS MSDOS uses GW-BASIC & runs on the IBM.
*
  CUTS     BAS        ALL COO V      79   352 89/01/04 23:51:21 CUTS Pgm
  CUTS     CUTS       ALL COO V      79   193 89/01/04 23:50:24 CUTS Fmt
  CUTS     FORMAT     ALL COO V      80   215 89/01/04 23:53:50 Text File
  IBMCUTS  BAS        ALL COO V      74   253 89/03/22 10:57:32 CUTS Pgm

CUTS was the encoding format for binary files to be emailed from the
COCO and OS( file areas on the Princeton server - like uuencoding or
MIME, but different.  It was written before coco users had access to
more commonly used formats.  All you need to do on a coco is run the
CUTS.BAS file.  I don't remember if it runs directly or pokes an ML
cuts program into memory and saves it.  (It's been a few years)  ;^)

Rodney