[Coco] Re: 6309 microprocessor project: 11-05-2003

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Fri Nov 7 08:34:00 EST 2003

Roger Taylor writes:

> This is true.  It took me forever to realize that imgtool.exe was there
> But don't expect a PORT.EXE visual rep of things... it's all command line
> stuff.  And there's semi-support for .cas files as well.

The cool thing with the cassette support is that in addition to supporting
.cas, .wav files are also supported directly.  It is actually easier to deal
with .wav files directly because despite the theory, .cas files are not
actually a stream of 1200/2400Hz pulses in practice.  I suspect that the
.cas support in Jeff's emulator was implemented by patching the ROM's CASIN
and CASOUT routines.

> [snip]
> What imgtool won't do is create 2-sided images with the --heads=2
> option.  And none of my DMK creations will show anything when mounted in
> M.E.S.S.  you can do a DIR and it's blank.  I'll do more testing in this
> area.

If these issues are the case, then these are bugs, plain and simple.  I've
recently gutted MESS's and Imgtool's file format handling to make it more
modular.  Now, if a new file format appears to compliment JVC/VDK/DMK, it
can be added in a modular way and both MESS and Imgtool will immediately
inherit the support.  Ditto on the cassette side with CAS and WAV.
Unfortunately as Tim can attest to, new code means new bugs.  These will
have to be squashed one by one.