[Coco] Re: Banking ROMS (was-6309 microprocessor project:11-01-2003)

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Sun Nov 2 08:22:00 EST 2003

> Now, dern it... how did you create the "We Gotcha!" vocals in your Mega-Bug
> game?!  :)  I hacked that game when I was about 17 years old and discovered
> a sort of compressed format, where the values were delays between speaker
> clicks, I think.  Anyway, I've always wanted to know that.

I guess it's kind of 1-Bit PCM sampled using the CoCo's "Zero Crossing
Detector" (cassette port). Recording is done saving the (loop-) times
between "bit changes" of the cassette port. Playback is done outputting
the "bit changes" to the CoCo's "One Bit Sound" and waiting the recorded
(loop-) times again (kind of sequencer). Steve must have been an expert
of this stuff, remember his great "Spectrum Audio Analizer" Pak...

Regards,
Torsten