[Coco] Gcc Cross compiler Win32 host - Progress.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Nov 9 20:06:07 EST 2003

Following in the footsteps of:

http://skwirl.ca/coco/gcc.html

It has taken about 2 days, but I have finally gotten the configure
script to apparently run successfully for gcc on a Windows 2000 system,
and now I am starting the make script.

I am making a log of the progress.  So far, all the tools needed are
available open source and through the Internet.  I am not sure if it is
too long for a post, but I will see if I can put it up for www access later.

You need quite a bit of cygwin installed.

The hassles encountered were:

The stock configure scripts were not able to determine the build host
type.  It needed to be specified as --host=msdos, as this was the
closest of the available choices.

Some of the scripts were unable to create files in a temp directory
created by the script.

The stock configure scripts gcc or fastjar were unable do determine the
endian type for fixed and floating on my Pentium class processor.

The stock GCC configure script does not understand a host or build type
of "msdos", and wants i386-pc-win32 instead.

I hacked the scripts to get the configure to work.

As I write this, the make failed because I am building against gcc
3.3.1.  A new #define is needed in m6809.h

#define GLOBAL_ASM_OP "\t.globl "

The make script is running for the second time as I type this.

More changes for GCC 3.3.1 were found.  Apparently they have simplified
the interface for cross assemblers.  So some code needs to be commented
out of m6809h.  The GCC build poisons the definions to cause it to be
obvious.

Starting the make run again.

My short term goal is to get something working and documented so that
others can share in the fun.

I posted something a little bit ago on the GCC-COCO-OS-9 list.  I have
no idea how many are on that list.  I do not know if the archives are
working.

I have mess also running on the Windows 2000 with COCO 3 and COCO 2 roms.

I have not yet connected a virtual hard drive to it so that I can start
running programs on it.

I have not studied enough of MESS to be able to do this yet.

On my system, the MESS COCO only seems to run full screen, I have not
yet managed to get it to run in a window.  VNC is not able to serve it
well for remote access.  Keystrokes are lost.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only