[Coco] Re: Any reason to put a 6309 in a Coco2?

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Dec 31 10:24:53 EST 2003

On Dec 31, 2003, at 8:51 AM, Torsten Dittel wrote:

>> The GIME chip is the Coco3 will not support semigraphic modes
>
> When I was talking about the "3" I referred to the "6309", not the
> CoCo3. Sorry for the confusion. I wondered if a 6309 running in
> 6809-mode would be fully compatible to an "original" 6809.
>
> Does anyone know for shure if a "6309 Level I" NitrOS9 is planned or
> even released? Boisy?

Torsten,

The organization of the NitrOS-9 project is such that a 6309 version of
Level 1 would be very easy to put together.  Of course, that requires
some 6309 code to actually be in the kernel and other system modules
for Level 1, which has been done in limited quantity.  So in short,
yes, there will be a NitrOS-9/6309 Level 1, and in that respect, it
would be a good thing to put a 6309 in a CoCo 1 or CoCo 2.

When will it be available is not known at this point.  Documentation is
probably the biggest sore spot in the distribution right now, and that
really needs to be addressed.

Boisy