[Coco] Embedded CoCo

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 13:48:11 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/24/03 1:08:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:

> Usually they use a 6551 for that.  However, I'd look for a later
>  version I think, unless flow controls aren't a high priority.  The
>  6551 stops in its tracks, in mid-byte when CTS goes down.

No -- for MIDI you want no CTS or other handshake control at all.  You have
to tie CD active and loop RTS back into CTS, or tie CTS active.

MIDI is theultimate dumb minimal RS232 (only it's current loop, not voltage)
-- just two wires per direction.  If you want bidirectional (so you can record
from a synth keyboard) you need to use two cables, in two pairs of sockets.

Keeps it real simple.

You want some buffering in the ACIA/UART, but not *too* much, or the send
timing and receive time-stamping will not be accurate.

If you want to talk about this more, please include my own address in the
reply, since I have now turned off mail from the List until Jan 18.  --Mike K.