[Coco] Embedded CoCo

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Dec 23 10:25:45 EST 2003

FranK

What I have started is a basic 6809E board. The goal is to be
around 4.5 x 6 inch maximum. What I want out of the board is to
controll a telescope and have sufficient memory form several star
catalogs. Between 10,000 and 20,000 object catalog will require
between 1 an 3 Mbytes of flash. The base board will be a bit more
modern. I think should be a 32K ram and 32K rom. An RS232 port
is also nice.

Yes one of the 6.5 inch LCD panels would be nice also. I was
thinking of using a 74C923 or a pic controller to interface to a 20
button keypad. I have seen some nice 1/8 VGA graphic displays for
under $50. That will do about 20 characters on 4 or 6 lines. 1/4 VGA
would get 320x240 graphics  mode.

I would rather use the 6809 in a PLCC package than the 40 pin dip,
if a source of enough parts can still be found. One other thought
came to mind was to make the main processosr a horizontal
stackable plugin card. That way the memory, expansion and
interface can be on the secopnd card and one can use what ever
processor by just plugging in an a appropriate processor card.

james