[Coco] OT -- Linux hardware

David dbree at duo-county.com
Sun Dec 21 00:06:06 EST 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 09:47:41PM -0600, Dave Kelly wrote:
> I need some help/information from people I can trust.
> So I coming to the linux users here.

I'm no hardware guru, but I'll insert my 2 cents worth.

> My linux system is not acting properly.  Sometimes the monitor will come on
> and sometimes it will not.
>
> The monitor works OK, I'm reading it to type this message.
> Thinking it might be the video care I replaced that.
> Checked using a different monitor.
> Niether were the problem. It acts like a cold solder joint. It only started
> when the weather started getting cooler.
>
> I would like to replace the mother board. I could not find an exact
> duplicate here in Houston but did find what I think to be an equivilant.
> My question is:
> Will this be as simple as take all the plugins ( CPU, memory, etc )
> switching them over to the new MB and installing it?

It'll _probably_ come up in at least console mode.  You may have to
change your config for X if you use that.

Before removing the board, some steps I'd take if your system is still
usable enough to do these..

If you are booting into X, I'd remove that, and be sure I'm booting into
console mode.  You could probably CRL-ALT-F? to go to a text window if X
doesn't work, but it would be simpler to do that.

I'd be sure my kernel didn't have anything in it that was specific to
the old board that would be incompatible with the newer one.  One thing
is to be sure it is compiled to support your IDE controller - or
whatever system that connects to your HD.

It might be wise to make a boot floppy, with a kernel that was VERY
generic, or one that would work with your new board.  Or if you are
using lilo or grub, perhaps go ahead and compile and install a kernel
that would boot.  This is, of course, assuming your current kernel(s)
is/are not compatible with your new board.

I think if you watch these steps, you should be able to at least get
back up and running.  Aside from these issues, you can always tweak
thing after you get going with the new board.