[Coco] Sock Master Demos

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Dec 20 00:35:59 EST 2003

At 02:53 AM 12/19/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm using a 2GHZ equivalent AMD processor with 512MB of RAM, so I thought
>I was
>set as far as power.  But you know, I have noticed that my other apps begin to
>crawl whenever my MESS emulator is on.  I don't know if this is because
>MESS is
>inherently processor hungry or was setup to take more timeslices (I'm new to
>Win XP, having been a Mac and Win98 user for a few years now).  However, I
>can't imagine an 8-bit emulator taking so much of my current processor's
>time.
>Or maybe it's just WinDOZE, yech.

I don't really believe in the term "hogging the CPU".  I prefer that any of
my computers use their CPUs to their fullest power when possible.  The bad
part is that response is slow-to-nill when something is "hogging the
CPU".  If Windows could just handle this right and slow down these apps
while you're dragging the cursor or trying to kill the program, or start a
new one, or more.  True, M.E.S.S. uses what it can if you have the throttle
mode off, and I'm glad for that, but it appears to be inconsiderate most of
the time.  And don't dare have throttle off and DirectX off on a machine
slower than 200mhz.  It might take you 2 minutes to kill the M.E.S.S.
window to get your system back. You might not even be able to do that if
you have other programs running.  Just pull the plug. :)

>Ok, seems I gotta figure stuff out with IMGTOOL, but this won't be easy
>because
>I have discovered that some of their info relevant to cocos is wrong :(

I haven't spotted anything in imgtool.exe that has raised any
concern.  Please let everyone know what might be incorrect.

Roger Taylor