[Coco] Embedded coco

Dave Kelly daveekelly at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 17:49:17 EST 2003

About using a coco mother board as an embedded controller!
> How many people would be interested in a mini coco?
> It could/would be on a small ckt board and would have:
> cpu(6809)
> rom
> ram
> a PIA or two (address decoded to the exact same locations as
> a real coco.
> DAC
> Small PAL/PLD used as an address decoder. Both the CTS, and
> the SCS lines would also be duplicated.
>
> WhY?
> Because by using the same hardware memory map for the PIA's
> and DAC would allow a much smaller controller . also a real
> cocoI or II would not have to be sacrificed to use as the
> controller. But a real coco could be used to test and debug
> software before it was placed in rom on the embed board!
>
> If anyone is interested I will design the ckt board and place
> the design in public domain or even post it here if allowed.
> Heck I may design this thing anyway just for myself. Any
> takers??
Several years ago in one of the publications that Farna put out was an ad
for a small 6809 motherboard designed for embedded use. He sent Frank S a
couple of these and IIRC Frank sent one to Marty G for examination. MG
reported that he nearly had it working as a full computer but I don't
remember all the details or where all that ended up. Somewhere in the back
of my mind is the price of $80.