[Coco] Dumb way to write 3.5" floppy in Coco RSBASIC?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 13 13:05:29 EST 2003

From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

>"ln -s src target"
>
>> command in os9, well, ahh, mmm...  If I get my system back up and
>> running again, thats one of the utils I intend to write.
>
>I must have missed something. How would you use this as opposed to
> what is already in place under OS9?

And whats in place under os9 to do that?  Anytime I've wanted to
multiple link a file, I've had to do it by hand with ded.

AFAIK, the 'link' program we have, is just a memory link count
incrementer, used to prevent an unused processes link count to ever
go to 0, at which point it will be unlinked and the memory recovered.
Use it to lock your bootup loaded utils pack into memory forever.

What I'm refering to is the ability to have a file show up in several
directory listings.  Any one of which can be edited and the results
then show up at all locations because every reference in the
directories actually points at the same file descriptor LSN.  Os9
does support such operations very well.  We've just never had the
utility to make it simple to use.

>  That, and
>
>> an 'mv' that picks up a dir entry and puts it in some other dir,
>> optionally renameing it as it goes.
>
>I saw one of these written for OS9 back when I lived in Indian Wells
> Ca. by someone who lived upstate, worked for RS, and ran a BBS.
> This was way before AG's invention. ;-)  And I don't remember his
> name.

CRAFT? :-)

--
Cheers, Gene