[Coco] COCO 3 for LowFER transmitter?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 21:07:07 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/10/03 10:00:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
writes:

> The last time I looked at the LowFER rules, it was 1 Watt input power
>  into a 50 foot antenna, including the feedline.

A whole watt?  ISTR 100 mW, but at least with one watt you have a fighting
chance of getting out of your back yard.

>  Frequency is 160 to 190 Khz.  Modulation must be completely contained in
>  the band.

But other than that, modulation is unrestricted?  Anyway, I forgot that the
aircraft/marine beacon LW band, just above the Lowfer band, still uses MCW.

>  With perfect conditions, a maximum range of 100 Miles was supposed be
>  achievable.

Given the aging condition of the US-Canadian power grid, we may see those
perfect conditions more often.  Keep your batteries fresh.  But as long as there
is AC power anywhere within your county, you won't copy diddly.

>  Modulating an AM tone for CW will cut your effective range considerably
>  from running straight CW.

That's for sure.

>  If I were doing a Lowfer project, I would build a remotely controlled
>  transmitter in a weather proof container and put it outside at the end
>  of what ever antenna that I had rigged up.  Having a good ground plane
>  is essential.

And I suppose you could build a "top hat" of 25' radials in all directions
and still be within the 50' rule.  But this is getting pretty far OT.
73, Mike K.  AA1UK