[Coco] Another drive question

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Dec 11 11:54:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/10/03 6:08:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dbree at duo-county.com writes:

> Mike, your symptoms sound much like those of my system.  Although your
>  CPU, like mine, is sort of underpowered, your main problem is your
>  memory.  I had 64M in mine and it, too, seemed to stop and think a lot.
>  What's happening is that some of the critical memory is getting put into
>  swap.  Mine would get to where it was totally unresponsive.  I upped my
>  memory to 80M and that made all the difference in the world.  It pretty
>  much eliminated the halts.  It still is no firebird by any stretch of
>  the imagination, but that extra 16M really helped.

Thanks for the tip.  My current Linux box was originally 32M, but I stole the
SIMM out of another box to double it.  Nowadays I'd probably have to look
hard and pay extra bucks for a RAM old enough to work in this machine, but it
sounds like another 32M would really help things out.

>  Too, if you could eliminate as many processes as you could would help,
>  too.. I started out with Mandrake.  It got pretty sluggish.  I switched
>  to Debian with quite a bit less stuff installed and at the start, it was
>  pretty peppy for what it is.  However, after adding more and more stuff,
>  it's not as quick as it was when I first installed Debian.

There is a lot of networking and other background stuff in a default Linux
installation that I could probably figure out how to shut down.  Also the print
daemon, until I move my HP DeskJet 500 to the Linux box.

I forget now whether it's my current box, but one of my Linux PCs had a
separate, small HD used for /swap space.  --Mike K.