[Coco] Another drive question

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 20:46:00 EST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 12:28 am, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/9/03 3:24:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>
> davehazelton at access-4-free.com writes:
> >   My first Linux box was a 66mhz 486, 64mb, 4GB SCSI drives.  It
> > was running Mandrake 7.1, It ran fine as a Samba/Netatalk server,
> > but X-Windows and GNOME killed it
>
> My first Linux box ws just like yours, only 20M of RAM, not 64.
> Ran Slackware vintage 1997.  I was amazed how fast X-Win ran on that
> burro.

Geez, I didn't even _try_ to configure (or even install) X on my first
Linux box.  386/25 with 4Mb RAM and a 60Mb disk.  SLS Linux from a
stack of 5.25" floppies about 5.25" tall.  March 1993, before anybody
put a distro on a CD and the kernel had a while to go until release
1.0.  I needed some flavor of Unix, as my 3B1 had died the real death
in my move from the west coast to the east, and Linux was the cheapest
way to go.  I've since replaced my 3B1 and some Color Computers that
didn't get moved, as well as collecting a bunch of old Tandy Z-80 and
68k equipment.  When I find a Tandy 2000, I'll consider my Tandy
collection as complete as I want it, having no interest in their other
MS-DOS or Windoze offerings.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

The Yen Buddhists are the richest religious sect in the universe.  They
hold that the accumulation of money is a great evil and burden to the
soul.  They therefore, regardless of personal hazard, see it as their
unpleasant duty to acquire as much as possible in order to reduce the
risk to innocent people.           -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_