[CoCo] 720kb vs 1.4mb 3.5" disks

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Dec 11 09:36:00 EST 2003

Stopping up the holes on two 1.44MB disks (one Maxell brand, the other
Imation), I was able to format both with no problems under NitrOS-9.
While I haven't done any extensive write tests on them, I was able to
overlay the NitrOS-9/6309 disk images onto them from my Linux box and
boot fine with them on my CoCo system.

That said, I am still wary about using these disks in such a fashion.
Cloud-9's policy is to use 720K 3.5" floppies for NitrOS-9, and my
suggestion is to use 720K floppies in a drive if you have them.  If
not, then pick quality 1.44MB floppies, cover the HD hole, and use
them.