[CoCo] 720kb vs 1.4mb 3.5" disks

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Dec 11 08:56:00 EST 2003

All of this discussion has prompted me to set up an FD-502 unit with a
1.44MB floppy drive as Drive 0, and move the original 5.25" DS drive in
the top position of the cabinet and set it to drive 1.

Using 720K floppy disks (not 1.44MB with the hole covered) on my Linux
box, I transferred the latest NitrOS-9 image over to the floppy disk,
then inserted the floppy into the 1.44MB drive on the CoCo.  It booted
fine, and seems to be reading/writing to the floppy with no problems.

I also formatted a 720K floppy disk in /d0, again with no problems.

As a test, I have a 1.44MB floppy from a bundle that I bought.  These
floppies are new and were probably manufactured in the last year.  I'll
cover up the hi-density hole, format it and see how reliable it will
be.

All of this has prompted me to add a 720K disk image to the NitrOS-9
distribution build.  So the next release of NitrOS-9 will include a
720K disk image in addition to the two 360K disk images already there.

Boisy