[Coco] Another drive question

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 00:30:36 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/9/03 3:24:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
davehazelton at access-4-free.com writes:

>   My first Linux box was a 66mhz 486, 64mb, 4GB SCSI drives.  It was
>  running Mandrake 7.1, It ran fine as a Samba/Netatalk server, but
>  X-Windows and GNOME killed it

My first Linux box ws just like yours, only 20M of RAM, not 64.
Ran Slackware vintage 1997.  I was amazed how fast X-Win ran on that burro.

However, the Gnome desktop GUI runs sluggish on my newer Linux box (screaming
Pentium 133 MHz, monster 64M RAM).  It isn't the graphics that slows it down
-- it seems to stop and think a lot before doing anything.  It does try too
hard to be pretty and animated, but it does have to compete for the eyes,
hearts, and minds of Mac and Windoze users.  --Mike K.