[Coco] Another drive question

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 15:50:10 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/8/03 11:18:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alxevans at concentric.net writes:

> In any case a 50 MHz 80486 is probably
>  marginal for Emulating a CoCo on a PC unless your emulator is using JIT
>  methods.

When I ran Jeff V's emulator on a 66 MHz (or was it 75? who cares?) '486 PC,
it ran about half as fast as a Coco.  So much for half-fast emulators :-)  I
shudder to think what MESS would have done on the Slackware Linux I also had on
that box.  Lots of time to ogle the blinking cursor hues :-)

BTW, it's correct that a 1 MHz 680x is equivalent to a 4 MHz 8080/Z80, and
maybe the comparison holds into the x86 family.   Today, a Mac running X Hz is
still considered about as fast as a 2X Hz PC.  --Mike K.