[Coco] [Color Computer] OS-9 Editor and NitrOS-9 Download

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Mon Dec 8 15:12:00 EST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/7/03 5:22:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
> writes:
>
> > The default settings of EVE made no sense, it was obviously for an IBM
> >  PC keyboard layout, which no platform that EVE ran on at the time used.
> >  Most people quickly changed the EVE to use the EDT keyboard layout and
> >  later that became a built in feature.
>
> Could you refresh our memories as to what is an EDT keyboard?  Is that one
> with the CTRL key in the right place (left of the A key), or something to do
> with the arrow keys, or what?

The EDT keyboard layout refers to how the editor mapped the numeric keypad
on the VTXXX series of terminals, and OpenVMS and UNIX workstations.

         +--------+--------+---------+---------+
label    |PF1     | PF2    | PF3     | PF4     |
Normal   |GOLD    | HELP   |FIND NXT | DEL L   |
Gold     |GOLD    |H KEYDEF|FIND     | UNDEL L |
         +--------+--------+---------+---------+
         |  7     |   8    |    9    |(MINUS)  |
         |Mov Page|sect    |Append   | DEL W   |
         |Command |Fill    |Replace  |UNDEL W  |
         +--------+--------+---------+---------+
         |  4     |   5    |    6    |(comma)  |
         |Forward |Reverse |Remove   | DEL C   |
         |Bottom  | Top    |Insert   |UNDEL C  |
         +--------+--------+---------+---------+
         |  1     |   2    |    3    |(Enter)  |
         |MV WORD |MV EOL  |MV CHAR  |Enter    |
         |Chngcase|DEL EOL |SPECINS  |SUBS     |
         +--------+--------+---------+         |
         |        0        |(PERIOD) |         |
         |MV BY LINE       |SELECT   |         |
         |OPEN LINE        |RESET    |         |
         +-----------------+---------+---------+

The EDT Keypad may have been arbitrary also, but it was also used by the
KED editor for quite a while before EVE showed up.

With the LK2xx keyboards having a FIND/INSERT/REMOVE/SELECT/PREV/NEXT
cluster, many of the EDT keys have fallen out of use.

The ENTER key on EDT is different than the RETURN key on the typewriter
section of the keyboard.  The Enter key was used to terminate an EDT
command, the RETURN key inserted a line break.

All VT series keyboards had the 4 arrow keys for navigation also.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only