[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] OS-9 Editor and NitrOS-9 Download

Mannequin* mannequin at primary.net
Sat Dec 6 22:52:00 EST 2003

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:08:53 EST
KnudsenMJ-YDxpq3io04c at public.gmane.org wrote:

> In a message dated 12/6/03 1:50:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> mannequin-n6Ta2snkUAvR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org writes:
>
> > You didn't restart any war... Well, not unless someone else picks it
> > up
> >  and runs with it. I love Emacs, but not enough to get in to a war
> >  on these groups over it.
>
> Hooray, another Emacs lover!  I was thinking we were extinct but for
> me.  Of course Linux is keeping it alive and very well.

No, you aren't the only one. There is a VERY alive group around here.
Actually, my brother was a contributor to Emacs a while back, but I
think he's fell off of the bandwagon on that one. I'm more of a general
user. I use it to program, and I used to use GNUS for my email and
NNTP stuff.

> >  > OTOH, I don't think
> >  > anybody would ever consider even trying to shrink Emacs down to
> >  > the Coco memory model.  I don't think it could be done and still
> >  > preserve ANY of the Emacs flavoring.
> >
> >  I'm sure a VERY simple Emacs could be made. It just wouldn't
> >  preserve much of the flavoring. It would be nice, though...
>
> Actually, there is a fairly stripped-down but usable version for Coco
> OS-9.  I may even have it somewhere.  I never used it because its
> commands were too much like the clunky LISP-based version and not
> enough like the Bell Labs (Warren Montgomery) version, which I have
> for the PC.  And the 6809 version does not allow keys to be re-mapped,
> and is missing some operations, like go-to-line-number.

Is it UEmacs?
<ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/UTILITIES/uemacs.lzh>

I've got it, and I am using it to help me make an editor that I'm more
comfortable with. :) (I'm afraid I'm addicted to the arrow keys for
movement, though. It's so bloody hard to remember to press <CTRL-N>
instead of the down arrow.)

> But it does give you something to do with the Coco3's CONTROL key :-)
> --Mike K.

Glad to see the Vi'ers aren't the only ones around here. :)
-Mannequin*

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CFFolB/TM