[Coco] [Color Computer] OS-9 Editor and NitrOS-9 Download

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Dec 6 18:10:01 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/6/03 1:50:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mannequin at primary.net writes:

> You didn't restart any war... Well, not unless someone else picks it up
>  and runs with it. I love Emacs, but not enough to get in to a war on
>  these groups over it.

Hooray, another Emacs lover!  I was thinking we were extinct but for me.  Of
course Linux is keeping it alive and very well.

>  > OTOH, I don't think
>  > anybody would ever consider even trying to shrink Emacs down to the
>  > Coco memory model.  I don't think it could be done and still preserve
>  > ANY of the Emacs flavoring.
>
>  I'm sure a VERY simple Emacs could be made. It just wouldn't preserve
>  much of the flavoring. It would be nice, though...

Actually, there is a fairly stripped-down but usable version for Coco OS-9.
I may even have it somewhere.  I never used it because its commands were too
much like the clunky LISP-based version and not enough like the Bell Labs
(Warren Montgomery) version, which I have for the PC.  And the 6809 version does
not allow keys to be re-mapped, and is missing some operations, like
go-to-line-number.

But it does give you something to do with the Coco3's CONTROL key :-)
--Mike K.