[Coco] Any info on a mystery 256 color GIME mode?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Dec 3 15:32:00 EST 2003

Chris

One thing to remember is that as more functins are added to the basic design the
bigger the FPGA may have to get. Once beyoind about 200K gates or so the single
unit cost starts to get up to the $35 to $50 range for the Sparrtan II chips. Those
have a 2.5 VDC core and I/O voltage of 3.3 with tolerance to 5 VDC. The Spartan
IIE and the Spartan III are not fully 5 volt tolerant on th I/O pins.

One horrible drawback of the GIME chip is that to be backward compatible with the
old Coco 1/2. The design is for the least common denominator, that video ram and
program ram are the same speed. Thus the design of the GIME chip is for 150nS
ram!!!! The video ram is accessed during the time the E clock is high. That is the
video cycle. When the E clock is low, that is the CPU portion of the cycle. So in a
horizontal scan of 63.5 uS, the best you can get is 113 video cycles at 1.79MHz E
clock speed. By doing two reads per cycle, you can get max 226 reads of the video
ram. In 320x200 mode the horizontal refresh is 11.7 uS and the visable or
horizontal frame time is about 45uS. The rest is border time! This results in 80 E
clocks cycles per horizontal line and thus 160 bytes read with 2 reads per cycle.
Thus the pixel clock ican be slaved to the E clcok or vice versa. In the case of the
GIME chip it looks as if the pixel clock is twice the E clock. With 150 nS ram with 3
reads per video cycle and the fastest E clock cycle is 2.2MHz before the crash!
Faster E clock will mean faster access ram. 100nS ram with three reads per cycle
yields in max E clock of 3.33MHz.

In high speed mode, 1.79Mhz E clock, the video cycle is 279nS. to get 256 colors
with 320 horizontal pixels, you need to read 320 bytes. With 150nS ram the best
you can do is 240 bytes. If the design were set up for 100nS ram then there would
be no problem for 256 color at 320 horizontal resolution. In fact if the design were
done for 60nS ram then 640 horizontal pixels at 256 color is possible. You can
make 8 reads of the ram each video cycle. Then you can read 640 bytes of ram
each horizontal line.

Now if you really want to speed things up then you go to 15 nS ram. You can read
640 bytes while the horizontal retrace occurs and not have to worry about cycle
sharing. The only draw back is that you need a 640 byte FIFO. Modern video chips
today can have large FIFOs and wider data busses to get data into the chip.
Combined now with 4 nS DDR ram, whole lines are read with ease during retrace
even at horizontal rates of 31.5Khz. The way the GIME chip processes the video is
real real real old school. Basically from the old black and white/amber/green days.
Depending on which phsopher the monitor used.

james