[Coco] Any info on a mystery 256 color GIME mode?

Chris Spry bugster at cedarcomm.com
Wed Dec 3 13:48:00 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nickolas Marentes" <nick at launch.net.au>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Any info on a mystery 256 color GIME mode?

> Gee, if you redo the GIME, would it be possible to mount it on a adaptor
> board as a drop in replacement for the real one? If so, you may be able to
> break the CPU clock speed bottleneck so that we can run the CPU faster
than
> 2Mhz with the GIME video running normally. Heck, we could even add in our
> own 256 color mode!!
>
> Why stop there?!  Add in a bit blitter, multi plane graphics, several
> hardware sprites and a sound generator!!!
>
> Now I'm really getting exited!!   :)
>
> Nickolas Marentes - "Raider of the Lost Mode"

Nick, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago actually.  It could be
made to be backwards compatible, but also add more features for graphics and
sound which would be designed for things like games and GUI interfaces. I
would LOVE to see these features that the C64 had on a CoCo, but with 256
colors too.  It'd make game creation so much easier and probably more fun.

-Chris