[Coco] NitrOS-9 ver 03.02.00 findings

Mark Marlette mmarlett at isd.net
Wed Dec 31 11:15:10 EST 2003

WOW! What a change and Boisy it must be a logistical nightmare to keep all
of this straight! My hat is off to you. I do this alot but this release
made me go back to ground zero and start my custom process all over.

Background...When customers here buy a system I put the latest release of
NitrOS-9 on it, or the last one that I did a custom boot for. That was last
summer, release ver 03.01.02. I did MANY systems with this release, all
6309 versions. Takes me about 20 minutes to image a drive from the ZIP100
drive and then an additional 10 minutes or so to make small modifications
to the bootlists, floppy, hard and then when the hard is done, HDB-DOS will
work.

Last night I was putting out the first ver 03.02.00 release. Ha! What took
me ~30 minutes before I spent over 4 hours and just got a floppy boot
completed. Most of this time was spent trying to devise a way in the future
to do updates in a non intrusive way. Currently SuperSCSI and DriveWire are
being combined in the current release of NitrOS-9. Which I don't care for.
Hard to draw a line between the two. Separate products, separate directories.

Cloud-9 specific products in :

/dd/modules/SUPERSCSI
/dd/modules/DriveWire

then in the normal NitrOS9 directory:

/dd/nitros9/ver030200

I debated about this added level but when you do this as much as I do I
thought it was clean and needed. It allows the user to then at the next
update make a new version and not impose on the last. Again a clear line
between the two distributions.

The scripts run relative to the installation directory which is GREAT. The
only problem in the above is the direct reference to the CLOUD-9
directories in the module dir. I revert back to Star Trek...The needs of
the many out weigh the needs of the few.....Ha...Actually I was thinking of
myself....I know Boisy has his reasonings on the structure for himself as well.

More to follow... This is getting too long... I HATE LONG POSTS and responses!

But I must say....Even though it took me over 4 hours to do a 30 minute
job, no big deal, an educational experience, that is why I still do this.
It is NO time at all compared to the effort, quality and work that Boisy,
Robert, Rodney, Alan and Curtis have done to make this product what it is.
Thanks guys!

Mark
Cloud-9

-